Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Alternative to Alternative


Having written the previous post, I find myself still ruminating on the need for, the reasons for, the use of the word "alternative." Alternative is related to alternate: this or that, on or off. Alternative is defined, in fact, as one of two mutually exclusive options; if one is chosen the other must be rejected. Alternative is an oppositional word suggesting a binary situation. In common usage, of course, we say there are "many alternatives," but at the root of it is still this notion of only one way. For me or against me. For-profit or not. Straight or gay.

So I was looking for a poly word. Or a multi word. An inclusive rather than oppositional word. Polyoptional. Multivalent. Polyvalent. Optional implies choice. Valent refers to worth. Multifarious is nice. I dunno...

I don't want to dismiss the value of the resistance or opposition that is (sometimes) implied in the use of "alternative." I don't want to be pollyannaish about the art world (even if I am generally optimistic.) Like those that want to believe in "alternative," I have faith in diversity and I suspect that "alternative" says, I'm right, they're wrong more that it says, I question authorities, conventions, and categorizations.

I suppose what I am suggesting is a more nuanced way of speaking about art that doesn't fall into the trap of us against them—whoever them might be, let alone us. I also want to move myself out of my own presuppositions. So that if I encounter a gallery named, say, Three Bat Gallery, I won't immediately assume and dismiss it as a fly-by-night artist-run place filled with look alike art-school assignments any more than I might assume that a high-end place might have nothing earth-shaking to see. Sometimes the privileged old bats have a lot of shaking going on.

There are so many strands in art and so much of value. I want to foster this wide-openness, let it spill like a full-to-the-brim, wide-mouthed jar in an earthquake.